Fares and GoCard - Dunedin
||GoCard Extra concession and SuperGold Card peak|
|Card Discount Key:
GoCard Extra ≈25%
|A child is aged 5-15 or up to and including 20 years if still at secondary school and on presentation of an authorised secondary school photographic identification card. School pupils wanting an ID card to prove eligibility should contact the school in the first instance.|
Palmerston, Waikouaiti and Karitane fares
Dunedin has a seven zone fare structure based on distance. The zone map shows zone boundaries.
Dunedin bus zone map
GoCard is the integrated ticket for Dunedin and Queenstown urban bus services.
GoCard stores your money for travel on buses. There's no need to carry cash for the fare, and by using GoCard you'll automatically get a 10% discount on the cash fare. Charge it up, board the bus, your card is read, and you're away.
Get your GoCard on any GoBus (i.e. any Dunedin urban bus, or any Connectabus bus in Queenstown), from the Dunedin City Council Customer Service Centre in the Octagon, the Otago Regional Council office at either 70 Stafford Street, Dunedin or The Station, First Floor (upstairs), Corner Shotover and Camp Streets, Queenstown, or from the Connectabus kiosk in Camp Street Queenstown.
GoCard cost $5 each. Minimum deposit on a card is $10.
Remember to check your receipt before you move away from the driver. He/she can only fix a mistake before processing another fare. If you have been over-charged and the driver is unable to fix this, please contact the bus company.
How to replace a lost, stolen, broken or faulty GoCard
Lost your card or had it stolen?
Cancel a lost or stolen GoCard as soon as possible to ensure it is not used by another person. The money on your GoCard can be transferred onto a new card - phone 474 0827 for details.
Cards cannot be cancelled over the phone. You should come to the ORC office. Alternatively, phone us to arrange post, fax or emailing of the information required.
Proof of issue is required (the receipt or card’s paper wallet from when you purchased your card) or, alternatively, two forms of identification acceptable to ORC.
Once ORC staff cancel your old card the final balance will take 48 hours to transfer to your new card.
A new card will cost $15 ($5 issue fee and $10 credit) which can be used immediately. You can return after two days to load the previous balance on your new card.
Want to replace a broken or faulty card?
You need to follow the steps above for obtaining a replacement.
If the card is physically damaged, you will be charged $5 for a new card. If the card has simply stopped working, your replacement card will be free.
ORC offices that can cancel and replace GoCards are:
- Dunedin: Otago Regional Council Office at 70 Stafford Street.
- Queenstown: to The Station, corner of Camp and Shotover Streets, upstairs
Read GoCard Terms and Conditions
The following concessions are available on contracted GoBus services in Dunedin and Queenstown:
A 10% discount on the equivalent cash fare for all passengers using GoCard.
A 25% GoBus Extra discount on the adult cash fare, available to those with a GoCard and either an ORC authorisation card or a SuperGold Card (this discount is instead of, not additional to, the 10% GoCard discount).
Free off-peak travel, between 9am-3pm and after 6.30pm on weekdays and all day on weekends and public holiday, available to SuperGold cardholders.
Children up to and including the age of four must be carried for free.
Eligibility for a GoBus Extra concession includes:
- those on a widow’s benefit,
- those eligible for NZ Superannuation,
- holders and qualifying members of the Royal Foundation of the Blind or the Association of Blind Citizens of New Zealand Inc, and
- those receiving a Supported Living Payment because they are permanently and severely restricted in their capacity to work due to a disability or health condition.
Eligibility does not include Supported Living Payment recipients who are carers of people needing intensive care.
GoBus Extra Authorisation cards are available at the Otago Regional Council. Passengers must show their authorisation card when using their GoCard to obtain the GoBus Extra concession. GoBus Extra is not available on a cash fare.
Concession and SuperGold Card free travel can only be obtained through GoCard.
Operators are free to offer their own concessions, for example: daily and monthly passes. Check with each operator to see what is available. Ritchies offer such a concession on the Concord-Kaikorai Valley-University service. Ask the driver for details or phone 489 4800.
For details of other Queenstown Concession Fares visit the Connectabus website
Super Gold Card information
How to get a GoBus Extra card
The GoBus Extra card provides authorisation for a bus driver to charge a GoBus Extra concession – 25 percent off the adult cash fare.
To obtain a GoBus Extra card, visit:
- Dunedin: Otago Regional Council Office at 70 Stafford Street
- Queenstown: The Station, corner of Camp and Shotover Streets – upstairs.
Reception staff will prepare the card for you on the spot. This takes only take a few minutes.
GoBus Extra is available to:
- Those on a widows benefit
- Sight-impaired members of Royal Foundation of the Blind or the Assn of Blind Citizens of NZ
- Those eligible for NZ Superannuation
- Those receiving a Supported Living Payment because they are permanently and severely restricted in their capacity to work because of a disability or health condition.
You must bring these documents to the Council office:
- Bring a recent letter or document (less than 2 months old) from WINZ showing your full name, benefit number and stating your benefit type.
- If you are receiving a Supported Living Payment your WINZ letter must record your name and explicitly state the criteria that you are receiving a Supported Living Payment due to a permanent and severe restriction in your capacity to work because of a health condition or disability. Letters that do not identify this criteria will be referred back to WINZ.
- Bring a recent letter or document (less than 2 months old) from your agency showing your full name and stating you are a qualifying member of that agency.
- If you have a SuperGold card, you do not need a GoBus Extra authorisation card. Otherwise, bring a copy of your birth certificate or passport, to verify your age.
To obtain the GoBus Extra concession, you need to show the card to the driver AND use a GoCard – available from ORC offices or bus drivers for $5.