Hi, our new website is nearly finished – please let us know what you think

Go back to the old site

Good Water in Otago

We all want water that is safe to swim in, gather food from, and that supports healthy ecosystems.

What is the Water Plan

The Water Plan was set up to maintain water quality where it is already good and enhance it where needed. 

It sets rules for contaminants (nitrogen, phosphorous and E. coli) and sediment coming off rural properties into waterways from runoff, leaching and drains (non-point sources). 

As a landholder, you can choose your own methods for managing contaminant discharge to waterways, so long as you meet the thresholds in the Water Plan that will come into effect on 1 April 2020. 

This effects-based approach gives you the flexibility to decide what actions are best for you and your situation, while protecting and improving water quality. 

The Water Plan sets the environmental boundaries you can work within before needing to apply for a resource consent for a specific activity you plan to undertake. 

Request a fact pack here. This includes handy factsheets and a guide to the rules. All rules are operative now, except for the contaminant thresholds that come into effect in 2020.

What is the water quality like near you?

How your day-to-day activities can affect water quality

Day-to-day activities can result in elevated levels of sediment, nutrients and E. Coli to enter waterways, but this can be avoided through good practice management.

Check out the below factsheets to point you in the right direction. They will also tell you the permitted and prohibited activities under the Water Plan.

Permitted activity rules describe activities that, subject to conditions, do not require a resource consent. Prohibited activity rules describe activities that are not permitted under any circumstances. 

We recommend you contact your industry organisation to find out more good practice information that is relevant for you.

Sediment in Water

Effluent management

Silage and compost

Stock access to waterways

Bridges and culverts

Working in waterways

What is a river?

Testing water quality on your property

We recommend you regularly test the water on your property so you can understand what impact your land use is having on water quality.

Check out this booklet below that tells you more about water testing. 

Sampling water quality on your farm

Catchment groups

Working with your farming neighbours means you can learn from each other and share results. Many catchment groups already exist throughout Otago and some have set up a system for water testing; you could look at joining one, or establish one if there is a need in your area. Give one of our liaison specialists a call on 0800 474 082 to find out more.

Check out this video that explains water sampling.

Nutrient budgeting and OVERSEER – what does this mean for you?

Nutrient budgeting looks at inputs and outputs of nutrients from all sources in the farming system. It takes account of factors like soil losses, soil reserves, animal transfer, fertiliser inputs, and any feed brought onto or taken off the farm.

A nutrient budget will help you identify how efficiently nutrients are being used on the farm and what fertiliser is needed to maintain soil fertility, while at the same time reducing the risk of negative effects on the environment. It will also help you see if you are compliant with ORC’s nitrogen loss thresholds that become operative in 2020.

All landholders must collect and record information needed to run an OVERSEER nutrient budget. ORC can ask you for this information at any time.

OVERSEER is an agricultural management tool. It’s a computer model that:

  • produces a nutrient budget showing estimates of nutrient inputs and outputs on a farm or a block within a farm over the course of a year.
  • allows you to test ‘What if’ scenarios for any changes you might want to make in your farm management or systems.
  • helps you learn where your risk areas are for nutrient loss so you can develop a plan to minimise your risk and provide the best protection for Otago’s waterways.

We recommend you contact a certified nutrient management advisor (CNMA) to make sure you’re collecting the right information for your farming system. Plus, to comply with Water Plan rules, any OVERSEER reports submitted to ORC must be prepared by a CNMA. 

Your industry rep may have a CNMA they can put you in touch with, or you can find details here.

What happens if your property does not meet the contaminant discharge thresholds by 2020?

The thresholds don’t become operative until 1 April 2020. This gives you time to review your land management practices and, if needed, modify your operations so your water quality meets the discharge thresholds. 

You can apply for a short-term resource consent, which will give you more time to make further changes on your property. Longer consent periods can be sought; these applications are likely to be publicly notified. 

If you have any queries about the Water Plan, please contact our liaison specialists on 0800 474 082 or email water@orc.govt.nz

Back to top
Online Maps & Data: