- Part of Aramoana Saltmarsh is located in the coastal marine area, which is covered by the Regional Plan: Coast for Otago.
- Marsh considered to be biologically significant both as the most important habitat for wading birds, as well as the most extensive and least modified saltmarsh in Otago.9
- Birds commonly found in Aramoana Saltmarsh include migratory Eastern Bar-tailed Godwit (Limosa lapponica baueri), South Island Pied Oystercatcher (Haematopus ostralegus finschi), Pied Stilt (Himantopus himantopus), Spur-winged Plover (Vanellus miles novae hollandiae), Banded Dotterel (Charadrius bicinctus), White-faced Heron (Ardea novae hollandiae novae hollandiae), and various species of Ducks (Anatidae) and Gulls (Laridae).7
- Eighty species of moth have been recorded.7
- Listed as an Area of Significant Conservation Value in the Dunedin City District Plan. Described as buffer area (pasture) dunes and sand spit. Breeding grounds for insects and feeding grounds for many birds. The saltmarsh area above mean high water springs lies adjacent to the second largest representation of dune slacks area in New Zealand. Of international/national significance.28
Our Council, Our Region
Discover more about the Otago region, the Otago Regional Council and the councillors who represent you.
Managing our Environment
Our environment is our most important asset. We work with the community to ensure the sustainable use of our natural resources. The future of our beautiful region starts with protecting and caring for it today.
Residents of Otago are a key contributor to our funding through rates. Find out more about what rates are used for and how to pay them.
Resource consents help us sustainably manage activities that may have an impact on the environment.
- Plans, Policies, Reports
- News and Events
We provide bus services in Queenstown and Dunedin to help you get to where you need to go. Our journey planner can help you figure out which bus route is best for you. For those unable to access the bus service we administer the Total Mobility scheme which provides access to subsidised taxi fares.