Galloway No. 2 Inland Saline Wetland Management Area
A saline site approximately 1 km to the east of the Galloway No. 1 site. 1
Inland saline 2
200 - 240 m above sea level
2.5 km East of the intersection of Crawford Hills Road and Galloway Road, Alexandra.
NZTM (centre point): E1325100 N4988300
Water for Otago
Schedule 9 Regionally Significant Wetland, no.49, Map 12.
Central Otago District Council
|Habitat for nationally or internationally rare or threatened species or communities. The threatened salt tolerant plant Lepidium kirkii is present, along with populations of Buck’s-horn plantain (Plantago coronopus) and Atriplex buchananii. Also the rare grasshopper Sigaus minutes. 1, 8, 24
|Scarce in Otago in terms of its ecological or physical character. Less than 18% of inland saline areas remain in Otago. 2
A2 - A4, A6 - A9
|No relevant information is currently held by the ORC.
- Soil classified as Saline Immature Semiarid Soil. 8
- Other halophytes recorded include Mediterranean barley grass (Hordeum hystrix), reflexed salt grass (Puccinellia distans), Puccinellia raroflorens with a threat status of nationally critical, salt grass (Puccinellia fasciculata) and salt grasses (Puccinellia stricta). 8
- Invertebrate species recorded include Athrips zophochalca, Capua semiferana, Crocydopora cinigerella, Eudonia sabulosella, Eudonia leptalea, Eurythecta zelaea, Loxostege sp. nov., Orocrambus corruptus, Oxythecta austrina, Paranotoreas fulva, Scoparia exilis, Scopula rubraria and Zizina oxleyi. 8
- The Department of Conservation considers the Galloway No. 2 Inland Saline Wetland Management Area to be a very important site for biological conservation. On a scale from 1 (highest value) to 11 (lowest value) the site was given a rank of 3, on the basis of its geographical extent, relative representativeness (the extent to which the site represents the assumed 1840 condition), diversity and rarity of biota and soils. 8
- A potential threat to the area is grazing by stock. 8
- Monitoring for erosion is recommended. 8
- A key site for Lepidoptera, Acrididae and Cicadidae conservation in the Manorburn Ecological District. 24
- Listed as an Area of Significant Indigenous Vegetation, Habitats of Indigenous Fauna and Wetlands in the Central Otago District Plan. 55
Aerial View of Galloway No.2 Inland Saline Wetland Management Area (March 2005)
Galloway No.2 Inland Saline Wetland Management Area (August 2005) 51
1 Otago Regional Council (2004) Regional Plan: Water for Otago. Published by the Otago Regional Council, Dunedin.
2 Ausseil, A.G., Newsome, P., Johnson, P. (2008) Wetland Mapping in the Otago Region. Landcare Research Contract Report prepared for the Otago Regional Council.
8 Allen, R.B. and McIntosh, P.D. (1997) Guidelines for conservation of salt pans in Central Otago. Science for Conservation: 49. Published by the Department of Conservation, Wellington.
24 Patrick, B.H. (1989) Lepidoptera, Cicadidae, Acrididae of the Manorburn Ecological District. Science and Research Internal Report no. 60. Published by the Department of Conservation, Wellington.
51 Otago Regional Council – Photo Archive.
55 Central Otago District Council (2008) Central Otago District Plan, Published by Central Otago District Council, Alexandra.