- Listed as an Area of Significant Conservation Value in the Dunedin City District Plan. Described as a swamp/lake with restiad bog and tussockland, rush and sedge swamp, and of regional and national significance. 28
- Presence of freshwater crayfish (Paranephrops zealandicus) in the Loganburn Reservoir. 29
- The presence of Sphagnum porina (Heloxycanus patricki), a moth classified as in 'gradual decline', has been recorded. 30, 31
- Hemiandrus 'Rocklands', a small ground weta, has been recorded at Great Moss Swamp. 32
- Located within Te Papanui Conservation Park.
- Composition of Sphagnum sp., Carex sp. and red tussock (Chionochloa rubra). 2
Our Council, Our Region
Discover more about the Otago region, the Otago Regional Council and the councillors who represent you.
Managing our Environment
Our environment is our most important asset. We work with the community to ensure the sustainable use of our natural resources. The future of our beautiful region starts with protecting and caring for it today.
Residents of Otago are a key contributor to our funding through rates. Find out more about what rates are used for and how to pay them.
Consents and Compliance
We work with the community to promote the sustainable management of natural physical resources. The Resource Management Act sets out how we should manage our environment and forms the foundation for the majority of our work.
Plans, Policies, Reports
Here you can find all our publications, plans and reports.
News and Events
View the latest news and events from Otago Regional Council.
We provide bus services in Dunedin and bus and ferry services in Queenstown to help you get to where you need to go.