If you are using a vehicle to move people or goods in a way that could normally require a public transport service licence, you will need to register or apply for an exemption.

This law is based on the Land Transport Management Act 2003. Some of the passenger services that may be exempt include things like a volunteer driving an organisation vehicle or a community service providing transport for clients without fare.

To find more information you can view Section 129 Subpart 2 and Section 130 of the Land Transport Management Act 2003. If you decide applying for an exemption isn't right for you, you can find more information about getting Transport service licences (TSL) from NZ Transport Agency Waka Kotahi


Registering an Exempt Transport Service

You need to have put in your application with the Otago Regional Council at least 15 working days before you plan to start your service. Your application isn't lodged until all the needed information and any payment has been received. 

Please read section 133 of the Land Transport Management Act 2003 for detailed information.

Contact the Otago Regional Council at 0800 474 082 for an application and payment methods.