Resource Consents give you permission to use or develop a natural or physical resource and/or carry out an activity that affects the environment. It's the official approval from your Regional Council that allows you to carry out these activities.

There are national and regional rules for undertaking certain activities that affect the environment, and sometimes this means you need a consent. Obtaining a resource consent will provide you with certainty that you can do an activity.

Resource consents are issued under the Resource Management Act 1991 and help ensure that any effect on the environment is managed sustainably. There is a set process, with set timeframes that Councils need to follow.

A consent is required if you wish to do something that is not permitted by regional plans or national standards. As part of this work, we provide advice and information to resource users, and participate in consent appeals and objections to provide a regional perspective on acceptable environmental outcomes.

We are available to guide you through this process and provide tips on how to make it a smooth experience. This can be done by contacting us at, or calling 0800 474 082.

The purpose of a resource consent is to put controls around activities that may have an effect on the environment. Consents must meet the requirements of:

You can find Otago Regional Council’s resource consent application forms below.

Once you’ve got all information ready, you need to submit a resource consent application and pay your deposit.

Most consent applications start with Form 1. Then you will need to fill in any other appropriate forms for the activity you want to get consent for.

Once you’ve completed the necessary forms you can post them, drop them into one of our offices or lodge the consent by emailing Please include ‘consent application’ in the subject line.

Your application must be accompanied by the correct fee or deposit. We cannot process your application until the fee or deposit has been paid. Applications that do not have a fee or deposit with them, will be returned. If your application is returned as incomplete, then you will be charged for the time taken to consider the application and return it to you. Please contact us before lodging your application with any queries and if you are unsure about how much you need to pay.

See the Fees and Charges page for more information on what it's likely to cost.

The information you provide with your application, which includes all associated reports and attachments, is official information. See more here on privacy and your consent application.

We’re here to help. If you would like more information about the rules and how they apply to your activity please call 0800 474 082 or email

For dams and effluent ponds, you may also need a building consent. Find out more here.

Consents application forms

Ways to pay your consent deposit

Privacy and your consent application

The information you provide with your application, which includes all associated reports and attachments, is official information. It will be used to process your application and, together with other official information, assist in the management of the region’s natural and physical resources. Access to information held by the Otago Regional Council is administered in accordance with the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987, and Privacy Act 2020. Your information may be disclosed in accordance with the terms of these Acts. Information in the application may also be made available on the Otago Regional Council website and a copy of any consents or processing reports made available online.

The Otago Regional Council may withhold information in certain circumstances. It is therefore important you advise the Otago Regional Council about any concern you may have about disclosure of any of the information, which includes all associated reports and attachments, you have provided in this application (e.g. protection of personal information, trade secrets, commercially sensitive material, information which, if released, may cause serious offence to tikanga Māori, or any other information you consider should not be disclosed.

While the Otago Regional Council may still have to disclose information under the above legislation, it can take into account any concern you wish to raise.

Page last updated 12 July 2024.